650BC mod
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how to model elephants

4 posters

Go down

how to model elephants Empty how to model elephants

Post  Taylor Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:56 am

There was some discussion in the pdox 650BC thread already, but let's discuss it a bit more.

I think there is no event command to give someone any division you'd like. You can only spawn the most advanced regiment available of a certain type (inf/cav/art).

Only thing I can think of is to make a culture (/tag) that a province can convert to (/become a core of); and that culture (/tag) is able to build elephants.

I recently had the idea that maybe we can make elephants artillery and make them only available to certain specific nations (because they shouldn't replace cavalry).

These are all random thoughts that need to be molded into shape. Thoughts?

Taylor
Admin

http://650bc.makeforum.net

Back to top Go down

how to model elephants Empty Re: how to model elephants

Post  Wolololo Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Those seem like two good ideas. I like the first one, but I'm gonna leave this one to illapa.

Wolololo

Back to top Go down

Post  videonfan Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:08 am

We can give those certain nations a tech group that contains elephants

videonfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:14 am

videonfan wrote:We can give those certain nations a tech group that contains elephants

Indian tech group, I'd say.

But Carthage shouldn't be Indian tech group. However, maybe if we give a nation with Indian tech group a core on a province of Carthage, then Carthage can build elephants.

a problem is that e.g. Indians (AFAIK) used elephants AND horses. So that's hard to model unless we make elephants artillery. If we do that, the Indians can't build catapults but did they ever really do that IRL?

Taylor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  videonfan Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:33 am

Taylor wrote:
videonfan wrote:We can give those certain nations a tech group that contains elephants

But Carthage shouldn't be Indian tech group. However, maybe if we give a nation with Indian tech group a core on a province of Carthage, then Carthage can build elephants.

a problem is that e.g. Indians (AFAIK) used elephants AND horses. So that's hard to model unless we make elephants artillery. If we do that, the Indians can't build catapults but did they ever really do that IRL?

How about instead of infantry give them cavalary? Very Happy

videonfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:07 am

videonfan wrote:
Taylor wrote:

How about instead of infantry give them cavalary? Very Happy

Razz

Taylor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  illapa Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:50 am

Hey sorry I haven't noticed this thread. For some reason I thought it was literally about making the little soldier sprite an elephant lol. Lets see though...ALL hellenistic nations eventually used elephants post Alexander the Great. I was going to simply make 2-3 choices of cavalry for each tech group one of them being elephants (assuming their tech group got to use elephants historically of course). Nations that were very well known for elephants like say Carthage and India will probably get a decision giving their cavalry bigger shock value or something at a certain tech level. Elephants were fairly...late innovations. Seleucids and Carthage being the ones that used it the most and both cases was post Alexander the Great.

As to the horse vs elephant thing...every nation that has ever existed has NEVER used only one type of cavalry unit for a period of time. Europa just picks the most iconic and makes it a unit. Thus I think elephants should be available to everyone in certain tech groups, but nations that historically used them should get a shock bonus I believe OR if you want to be really accurate with elephants give them a bigger shock bonus but a moral penalty because elephants were notorious for panicking and running in circles killing friend or foe.

illapa

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:39 am

illapa wrote:Hey sorry I haven't noticed this thread. For some reason I thought it was literally about making the little soldier sprite an elephant lol. Lets see though...ALL hellenistic nations eventually used elephants post Alexander the Great. I was going to simply make 2-3 choices of cavalry for each tech group one of them being elephants (assuming their tech group got to use elephants historically of course). Nations that were very well known for elephants like say Carthage and India will probably get a decision giving their cavalry bigger shock value or something at a certain tech level. Elephants were fairly...late innovations. Seleucids and Carthage being the ones that used it the most and both cases was post Alexander the Great.

As to the horse vs elephant thing...every nation that has ever existed has NEVER used only one type of cavalry unit for a period of time. Europa just picks the most iconic and makes it a unit. Thus I think elephants should be available to everyone in certain tech groups, but nations that historically used them should get a shock bonus I believe OR if you want to be really accurate with elephants give them a bigger shock bonus but a moral penalty because elephants were notorious for panicking and running in circles killing friend or foe.

This sounds pretty reasonable. I didn't even think of the fact that vanilla EU3 already picks the most iconic cav. What does the rest think?

Taylor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  illapa Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:39 am

I think most people are on vacations/have exams or w.e this week or last week so activity has been low I myself have 2 more papers due then I'm free to be a bit more productive with this

illapa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down