650BC mod
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flag & Icon Development

3 posters

Go down

Flag & Icon Development Empty Flag & Icon Development

Post  Leonel1982 Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:32 pm

I've done a set of 12 flags for people to take a look at. This is essentially all the countries beginning with A that I didn't see unique graphics for so take a look, definitely give me some color suggestions because I'm pretty stuck on those. I might redo the Athens flag though.

Flag & Icon Development Flags-01

Leonel1982

Back to top Go down

Flag & Icon Development Empty Re: Flag & Icon Development

Post  Taylor Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Those flags look really good! Here's some feedback.

Could you give some motivation for the icons on the flags? About the colors - I would say your guess is as good as mine. What I've come to see is that e.g. the Greeks made very colorful shields, in basically every color, so I'd say a nicely diverse set of colors for the Greek world would be suitable.

Abydos - It's a good idea but maybe the bird is a bit too "detailed"? What type of bird is it btw? Maybe make the background one color as with most of the Greek flags.
Achaean Leage - That looks very pretty. I say keep it like that.
Aenus - Again, beautiful. Colors look good to me.
Aetolian League - What animal is that? Color - maybe brown isn't "colorful" enough? I dunno.
Ambracia - looking good. Color - maybe red on white is a bit plain, but we'll have to see how it looks in-game first.
Apollonia - Again, looks good, although I have no idea what that icon is Razz
Arab - An easy yet effective solution. There's plenty more Arab nations to come though... this is just the inland nomadic one. The Arabs seemed to be pretty obsessed with the moon so maybe you could use that on some flags?
Arachosians - Is that a letter?
Arian - Very nice. This one is my favorite. Smile
Aspasiacae - Hmm, that icon looks a bit strange. Does the hand near his head hold a sword? If so, it doesn't seem to be continued on the other side of the head. Also his left foot is a bit pointy Smile.
Assyria - I see you've decided to edit my Assyrian flag? And I spent so much time to make it! (Razz not really) I would suggest make the icon a bit bigger so it's easier to see. There is still room in the white area for that.
Athens - The right side of the owl's head seems to be... missing, as in, it doesn't go around its eye. Its beak should probably be slightly pointy on the bottom. Also the tail could be improved: the wing has to stick out a little further than the body, and there should be a feather hanging from the body's rear. Also its legs seem to be merged. Check for example this coin. If there's space, it could be a good idea to put A.O.E. (see coin) vertically right of the owl.

Taylor
Admin

http://650bc.makeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonel1982 Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:34 am

As you said, your guess is as good as mine BUT I was thinking some of them being brown then the form-able nations being a little more colorful and clean could be a nice show of transition into becoming a contemporary classical period power. I'll certainly try making the Greek colors more diverse.

Abydos, as with many of the Greek flags, is traced from coins that they used to have. Flag & Icon Development 6507380019_038afcb3b2
The animal in the Aetolian League is a boar but yes I gree it isn't colorful enough. Perhaps a gold warthog on a dark blue background?
The Apollonia symbol is actually an anchor. I wasn't able to see in coins what that thing next to the A was but some sources said it was a sort of shellfish. Flag & Icon Development T3Apollonia
I think I could put an Arab moon in there somewhere but instead of the stylistic, exaggerated crescent, probably a more realistic moon crescent would be in order.
I don't know where I got the Arachosian symbol from. I couldn't turn up anything legible to trace over.
Yeah I wasn't entirely sure about the Aspasiacae. I'll have to research deeper into that.
Agreed with Athen's too. I used a bad example of the Greek owl. I'll find a better owl to trace over.

Well these are great comments. I'll get right on them when I come back from my day trip to Portland.

Leonel1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:01 am

Okay! Glad my comments were of use. Looking forward to the updated designs! Smile

Taylor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonel1982 Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Alright here are some updates to the current set with the comments taken into consideration. Decided to go with a more simpler route (no tricolor or duocolor flags) as much as I could

Flag & Icon Development Flags-01-1

I really could not find anything on the Aspasiacae except for a foot note in some website explaining some historical figure sought refuge with the nomadic Aspasiacae but returned home. However, since it mentioned they were nomad's, I used an ancient arrowhead from the Persian area as their symbol since they probably were hunters.

Leonel1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 pm

I've included above flags in the mod.

Since leonel is no longer with us ( Sad ) I will try my best to make some flags myself. The Greek city-states have good sources of logos (in the form of coins), so I'll start with those.

Since I have nowhere near the skill of a professional like leonel, I will take some shortcuts. E.g., for the Arab kingdoms I can use color variations of leonel's flag for the Arabs. For the nomadic Iranian countries, I can use color variations of his flag for the Aspasiacae. Hopefully I can flesh out most of the flags this way so I can move on to scripting, and wait for better (graphics-wise) times.

Taylor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Derahan Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:06 am

I like the flags, got nothing really to coplaim about except....

personally i would like for Assyria to be the colors Red/gold or Yellow

Derahan

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:31 am

I think leonel used the color combination of the trial flag that was there before. I've made a red and gold one now. I'll post it later, along with some new flags I made Smile

Taylor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:55 am

Ok, here's the first batch of flags I made. Also includes a color edit of leonel's Assyria flag.

Flag & Icon Development Batch1

Of the ones I made, Tegea and the Scythians already had a flag, but they kinda sucked.

Tell me what you think!

Taylor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:55 am

Whee, second batch. Ok I'm now pretty tired of graphics editing so I'm gonna go try to script military units.

Flag & Icon Development Batch2

Note: I already made a Mitylene flag, but I didn't like it very much so I made a new one (apparently, a calf was Mitylene's city emblem). Also, I learned of the existence of Helike, which was actually more important than Patrai, until it disappeared in 375 BC. So Patrai doesn't have a flag yet, but has been replaced by Helike on the map, so Patrai's flag is not very high priority.

edit: ah, so this means Delphi, Cyzicus, the four Kushite states and Tartessos don't have a unique flag yet.

Taylor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum